Monday, June 10 2019
ENG19K001. The View from the IRS
Join Charles Rettig as he discusses his opening months as IRS Commissioner. He will touch on:
- His top priorities
- The impact of TCJA
- IRS Modernization efforts
- How AICPA members can work with the IRS to help improve the nation’s tax system
1) Learn the current issues of the IRS so you can better serve clients
2) Learn the intricacies of the relationship between the IRS and the accounting profession
ENG19K01. The Fat Tail: The Power of Political Knowledge for Strategic Investing
The fallout from the still-unfolding global financial crisis provides several perfect examples of "fat tail" risk, those that flow from the low-probability, high-impact events that generate upheaval more often than we think. Bremmer shares with audiences how an understanding of the political dynamics generated by the financial crisis helps us forecast market risks, why politics matter more than ever for market performance, why the world's wealthiest countries have begun to behave like emerging market states, and what all this means for investors and companies.
At this presentation audiences will learn:
1) The risks that flow from low-probability, high-impact events...like the global financial crisis
2) Why politics matter more for the performance of markets and for issues ranging from defaults to nationalization to regulatory reforms
3) Why developed states are behaving more like emerging markets
4) The shift from New York, Shanghai, and Mumbai to Washington, Beijing, and Delhi—and the risks that this trend creates
ENG19PV01. Data Analytics Learning Program
With the deluge of data being collected by organizations and the desire to unlock meaningful business insights, data analytics is not just a trending topic, it is a critical skillset for success in today's business environment. To get the most out of data sources, enterprises need to have a team(s) with strong analytical skills to successfully unlock hidden organizational value. Given the shortage of talent to meet this growing demand, there is vast opportunity for accounting and finance professionals to expand their existing analytical skills to meet this need.
Join this session to learn about the AICPA's Data Analytics Learning Program
ENG19OV01. Association and CPA.com Startup Accelerator: Investing in Innovation
The Association (unified voice of AICPA & CIMA) and CPA.com launched a shark-tank style startup accelerator two years ago with a focus on FinTech and EdTech. Its purpose is to foster innovation in the profession and provide members, the Association, and CPA.com more visibility into disruptive trends and emerging technologies. In this session, you will hear from the 2019 cohort – 3 startup companies that have a leading role in client workspace solutions, cash flow management and accounting task automation.
During this session you will:
1) Discover trends in FinTech that are impacting the profession and your role
2) Hear from the front lines of disruption
3) Learn about the 3 startups that are members of the second cohort of the Association and CPA.com Startup Accelerator - https://www.aicpa-cima.com/accelerator
4) Get inspired to rethink how you can leverage financial and educational technology.
Tuesday, June 11 2019
ENG19VCC2. Are You Guiding Your Clients Towards a Bright Future? Position Yourself as a Valued Retirement Adviser
Advising your clients on their plans for retirement is more than just setting aside money in an IRA. Find out how to guide them through the important conversations about retirement plans including unique ways to save on taxes, attracting and retaining quality talent, and meeting fiduciary requirements. As your business clients’ most trusted advisor, you are well positioned to help guide them toward a dignified retirement.
Join our session to uncover critical retirement strategies and opportunities to further assist your clients in achieving their financial goals.
1) Review current state of retirement readiness and the regulatory environment
2) Compare features and options to maximize savings potential
3)Highlight the exclusive benefits provided by the AICPA to help you and your clients prepare for retirement security
PFP19SS03. Key Challenges and Solutions to Achieve Financial Wellness – Presented by Prudential
1) Expert insight into the financial challenges impacting American consumers today including student loan debt, retirement, insurance concerns, etc.
2) Understanding financial wellness and its impact
3) Solutions to help address the most pressing financial challenges
1) Understand the financial challenges individuals are facing today
2) Learn about solutions that can help address the most pressing financial challenges facing American consumers
3) Identify ways to help empower individuals to synthesize and reflect on one’s own financial profile and develop a personalized financial roadmap
EDG1901. Freedom to Fail
Would you believe that some professionals feel that if they make mistakes, it’ll be held against them? You probably do. Have you thought about what effect that has on the functioning of your team and your organization as a whole?
In this session, we explore the concept of failure and research behind the traits that contribute to the highest levels of team effectiveness. You'll walk away with ideas on how you can measure and create an environment that fosters peak team performance and healthy communication.
1) Explore the concept of failure and how our current failure assumptions can reduce success.
2) Learn the key traits in team effectiveness.
3) Understand how to measure and build psychological safety, creating a Freedom to Fail environment.
EDG1902. Lose the excuses, reach the results!
Do you ever find that you've lost sight of your goals? Maybe what you really want just seems so far out of reach? Does your to-do list seem way too overwhelming? It is easy for us to put off today what we can get done tomorrow, but if we just took those next little steps along the way, how much closer could we be to our goals or accomplishing those big projects. This session helps you learn to get past the excuses and learn to turn goals and projects into more manageable tasks. From eating the frog to brain dumping, we will discuss ways to guide you to achieving more.
1) Learning tools to turn goals or projects into more manageable tasks and
2) Discussing ways to guide you to achieving more.
ENG1906. How to Say Anything to Anyone - for Leaders and Managers (PST, EDG, FMA)
You have a request for one of your co-workers but don’t know how to say it, so you don’t say anything. A project you worked on for six months has become a black hole. There is no information about the status. You’re frustrated, but you don’t say anything. Two employees aren’t working well together. It’s impacting the atmosphere in the office. You don’t know what to say, so you don’t say anything. Speaking up when we are frustrated is hard and, as a result, most of us don’t. Instead, either we tell other people (aka gossip) or we say nothing, and relationships become strained. You can say anything to anyone and have it be easy. You just need to lay the ground work to do so, and most of us don’t. Learning Objectives: 1) Build trust in all of your business relationships, making it easier to say hard things. 2) Find out what the people you work with need from you, so you don’t have to guess. 3) Tell others what you need, making it more likely that your needs are met.
ENG19SC01. Sponsor Chat Lobby: Abacus Next
Join Abacus Next team members in a text chat discussion about services and products that may be of interest to you. They will also be able to address any questions that you may have. (Not eligible for CPE).
EDG1903. The Power of Focus
Sure, it feels great to be all things to all people, but is that the best way to really use your gifts and talents? Join Michael as he explores this topic and gives specific examples of wonderful success when he has chosen to specialize and tremendous failures when he has chosen to try to serve everyone in every way. This session will make a strong case for choosing to become a specialist in your firm, your hobbies and your life.
1) Understand the power of focus and what specializing can mean for you in your life and business.
2) Understand the process of beginning to focus in your life.
ENG1909. Uncovering Unconscious Bias (EDG, PST, AAM)
Is unconscious bias hindering you, your team or your organization? Unconscious bias is bias that happens automatically. It is triggered by our brain making quick judgments and assessments of people and situations based on our background, cultural environment and personal experiences. Have you ever arrived home from work and don’t remember the drive at all? Or perhaps you moved, but drove to the old house on your way home. Once neural pathways are formed, like your daily commute, they become almost automatic. We don’t spend time thinking about each turn on the way home, our body just does it. While this can be helpful for remembering your route home, it can be detrimental in other areas of our lives. In this session we will explore these biases, how they might be hurting, us, our team and our organization and what we can do to create new neural pathways and combat unconscious bias. Learning Objectives: 1) Define unconscious bias Identify the unconscious biases that might be driving you 2) Create an action plan to combat the unconscious biases in you, your team and your organization
EDG1904. Leadership: What’s Love Got to Do with It?
When love is nonexistent (compassion, forgiveness, commitment, inclusiveness, understanding), leadership generally fails. True leadership not only requires love, it IS love. Yet amazingly, love is rarely described as a leadership competency. Your future, and the future of the accounting profession, depends on our capacity to authentically model this behavior. Embrace your natural leadership skills and love for what you do, your passion, the people and organization you lead, by joining this interactive session as we explore this vital competency.
1) Live facilitation with group discussion, instructor-posed questions with time for participant reflection, and interactive exercises.
EDG1905. Courageous Authenticity
Courageous Authenticity is the practice of leadership that is transparent, vulnerable, and honest with those we lead. It checks our egos at the door and through acts of mutuality and community, we can learn, lead and grow from each other. Becoming a leader in the CPA profession involves making the proactive decision to redefine and reshape the profession and lead those who come after us. Being courageously authentic shapes how we lead in a collaborative fashion that values each other and the culture we develop as a result. By attending this session, you will gain insight on the practice of Courageous Authenticity, how to change how you lead and bring those concepts back to your firm or company.
1) Be able to understand the concept of Courageous Authenticity as a leadership principle
2) Apply this concept in leading others.
EDG1906. Thanks for the Feedback – Lessons in Giving and Receiving Feedback
Whether we realize it or not, we are constantly both giving and receiving feedback. We know that feedback is essential to our personal development, but we so often dread and even dismiss it. Feedback can be ill timed, unfair and downright mean, but that doesn’t have to dictate our ability to use it for our own growth. Using lessons from the best-selling book, “Thanks for the Feedback” by Douglas Stone and Shelia Heen, learn the three types of feedback, the barriers to receiving good feedback and how we can be empowered to seek feedback for our own growth.
1) Identify the three types of feedback and the degree to which you need each one
2) Recognize the barriers and blind spots that can get in the way of receiving feedback well
3) Create an action plan for getting the feedback you need
EDG1907. Finding Your Unique Leadership Voice
What type of leader do you aspire to be? Because all that you are and are not is best exemplified in your voice...but not your speaking style...the way you present yourself as a leader. Based on the book by Paul Larsen, attending this session will expose attendees to ways of developing their leadership voice, recognizing the voice that they already have and inspiring others to do the same.
1) Identify ways to develop and/or identify your unique leadership voice.
2) Find ways to help others develop their voice.
3) Determine when the voice needs to be adapted.
EDG1908. Introduction to Well-Being
Well-being goes beyond happiness, engagement and physical wellness. Well-being makes up who we are and is our foundation for flourishing. Attend this session to be introduced to Martin Seligman’s Well-being theory and "PERMA” model. Learn how to measure your own well-being and discover its effects on your personal and professional life. You will not only learn strategies to increase your well-being, but you will also learn how to help those around you do the same.
1) Participants will be exposed to an introduction to positivity psychology
2) Participants will learn the “PERMA” model to assess their own well-being
3) Participants will learn strategies to improve their own well-being and those around them.
EDG1909. Charismatic Communication and Powerful Presentations
Interpersonal communication skills and effective presentations are crucial to job success and career advancement. This session will give you tips on how to be more charismatic in your presence and more engaging in your presentations! Everyone can hone their skills in charisma and communication. This session is highly applicable to professionals at all levels!
1) Understand how to be more charismatic in your interactions
2) Learn immediately actionable tips for improving presentations and interpersonal communication
ENG1900. From Passion to Profession: How LPGA golfer Cristie Kerr turned her love of wine into Kerr Cellars - Presented by Chase Ink®
In this exclusive women’s wine tasting and networking event, presented by Chase Ink®, world-renowned LPGA golfer, Cristie Kerr, will take us through her journey of turning her passion for wine into a successful business with the creation of Kerr Cellars, which launched in 2013.
In the first portion of the session, we will get to know Cristie as she shares her business and personal tips for success in a conversation with Megan Chandler, Executive Director of Marketing at Chase Ink. Following, Cristie will then lead an interactive wine tasting of her own vintages and share more on how to enjoy the finest wines.
1) Insights around winning in business as a female entrepreneur
2) Identifying strength and weaknesses in building a winning team
3) Tips for creating and nurturing a culture of excellence
Wednesday, June 12 2019
ENG19VCC3. Stop Overworking Prep, Comp, Review
In this chat, we will dig into reasons firms tend to overwork prep, comp and review engagements along with some strategies and technology that can help get your firm delivering high quality financial statement services as efficiently as possible.
• Identify places where you might be overworking engagements
• Identify action steps to take to better balance quality and efficiency in these engagements
ENG19SSK01. BONUS KEYNOTE: Scoring Big in Business - presented by Chase Ink
John Elway, Hall of Fame quarterback, General Manager and President of Football Operations for the Denver Broncos and entrepreneur, discusses how managing a football team is similar to running a business – and the secret to succeeding at both.
1. Understanding the “mission critical” role CPAs and Accounting Professionals play in helping business owners make decisions that help their business
2. Tips on leadership, how to build the best team, ways to be more productive, stay inspired and grow your business
The digital era has brought about a blistering pace of change that’s only getting faster. It’s rapidly resetting consumer expectations and challenging organizations to disrupt themselves to remain relevant. And it’s bringing enormous opportunity for the accounting profession. To lead our clients and employers through these increasingly volatile times, we must open ourselves to new possibilities – reimagining the services and skills we offer to keep the profession vital and relevant well into the future.
1) The latest trends reshaping the accounting profession
2) How technology can enable us to enhance quality in existing service areas, and provide opportunity in new service areas our clients and businesses increasingly demand
3) How to evolve our skillsets to remain trusted advisors in an increasingly digital world
ENG19WA01. AICPA & CPA Practice Advisor Top 25 Women in Accounting Awards
ENG19K03. Leading Through Organizational Transformation — A Conversation With Simon Sinek
ENG19SC03. Sponsor Chat Lobby: Paychex
Join Paychex HR Professionals in an online chat, where you can submit questions and stay informed as Paychex responds to inquiries about solutions that help make payroll, HR, benefits, and insurance simple for your clients. (Not eligible for CPE).
EDG1910. Defining your Version of Entrepreneurship
Entrepreneurs have gained visibility in recent years. Recent studies have shown that almost 50% of millennials want to be entrepreneurs, but many never get to fulfill this desire because of risks or resources, whether real or perceived. The reality is entrepreneurship exists in many forms and can be achieved by those who desire it, whether you choose to start your own company, lead a new initiative within your company, get involved in your local community, or simply be a part of projects you find interesting. Our entrepreneurial and creative energy is what keeps us engaged at work, fuels self-development, challenges the status quo, and creates more freedom in our lives. Learning Objectives:
1) Understand the many forms of entrepreneurship that exist
2) Understand why your entrepreneurial and creative energy is one of our greatest resources.
EDG1911. Leading Leaders
You're now in a position where you find yourself leading other leaders - both well-established and up & coming leaders. What new skills do you need? What techniques do you now need to employ? How can you overcome the initial fear and wonder of 'am I good enough to lead this group?' (completely normal feeling, by the way) Leadership is a journey, and being the leader of an immensely talented group can feel daunting. We'll talk about how important the timing of your actions are, how the style in which you lead this group will significantly impact its performance, and how vulnerability and honesty enable the group to put their faith and trust in you. There will be ample time to share stories of success and learning along each of our journeys. After all, if we are aspiring to be leaders, we will eventually find ourselves in the position of leading others just like us.
1) The five primary leadership styles and how often to use each one
2) Skills and techniques to use to lead other leaders
ENG19NL01. Endgame: Preparing Your Firm for Imminent Change (FMA, EDG, PST)
According to a recent survey, only 25% of accounting firms are extremely confident in their ability to keep up with the pace of change. But the long-predicted changes are already having an impact on the accounting profession. How did these changes occur so quickly, and what can accounting professionals do to keep up? In this 50 minute lunch and learn, we’ll discuss:
• The pace of change: Exponential changes in technology
• The impact of ignoring change
• Innovation: Technologies on the horizon
Attendees will come away from this session with a clear view of what’s ahead and an action plan for coping with change.
1) Understand the impact of exponential change in technology and how it will affect the accounting profession.
2) Identify new technologies now available to accounting firms that will enable firms to adapt to the changing landscape.
EDG19NL01. The AICPA Outstanding Young CPA Award Presentation
EDG1912. How to Identify and Successfully Work With Different Personality Traits
Are you interested in learning how to more effectively utilize the personality traits inherent in those you work for and those who are working for you? This course is designed to address six common personality traits; three that are typically viewed as negative and three that are typically viewed as positive. You will be provided with guidance on how to identify and best work with those traits.
1) Gain awareness of the benefits and pitfalls of six different personality traits.
2) Learn how best to work with those personality traits in those you work for and those who are working for you.
EDG1913. How to Run a Meeting That Doesn't Suck
Most meetings suck. They’re distractions. They’re unfocused. They start late and run long. Worst of all, they don’t accomplish anything. But it doesn’t have to be that way. It’s possible to hold better leadership team meetings that actually save time and increase productivity. Using the proven EOS process, Bill Sheridan will show you how to plan, run and follow up on a meeting that will help your team stay focused, solve issues and improve communication.
1) Build a meeting agenda that’s timely, productive, and efficient.
2) Run a meeting that starts on time, ends on time, keeps people engaged, and solves problems.
3) Keep team members focused on accomplishing weekly goals and solving issues.
EDG1914. High-Trust = High-Performance
When our firms build a significant culture of trust, this leads to powerful performance and reduces friction and promotes cooperative behavior. Learn how to manage the eight “Oxytocin” building blocks of organizational trust which will lead to an increase release of Oxytocin. By building a culture of trust we reduce team friction and create an easier work environment. Firms that build a high culture of trust will see teams more engaged, more productive, and higher team member retention.
1) Educate future team leaders and profession visionaries on the 8 components of a strong culture of trust.
2) Demonstrate through hands on activity the use of the 8 components to initiate a strong clear vision of trust from top down and bottom up.
ENG1926. Leading Digital Transformation (PST, EDG)
Digital transformation is not about technology; it's about people and change management. Younger CPAs are uniquely positioned to lead that change. In this session we'll discuss practical examples of CPAs that have built coalitions of support for digital transformation within their organizations. You'll leave with the beginnings of a plan to take back to your office and begin building support for leveraging the digital opportunities that are sweeping across every organization on the planet.
1) Learn how to go about building support for digital transformation within a team or organization.
2) Develop a plan to go about leading digital transformation for their current team or organization.
EDG1915. Listening! The Key to being a Better Boss, Employee, and Mentor
Do you ever find yourself in a conversation where you missed important details because you were focusing on what you were going to say next? If so, you might need to enhance your listening skills! This interactive EDGE session will focus on the keys to great listening and how to build those skills to be a better boss, employee, and mentor.
1) Understanding listening as a communication tool
2) Understanding passive versus active listening
Learning Objective - application of active listening.
EDG1916. Vulnerability: Mental Wellness in the Workplace
Being vulnerable at work can help inspire others to be vulnerable and ask for help when needed. Mental health issues cost companies and economies greatly. What can we do to mitigate the consequence of mental illness? How can you inspire your team to take time off when needed? Sometimes a day or two of mental rest is all that is needed to return more productive and engaged.
1) Costs of mental illness
2) Strategies to mitigate costs and consequences of mental health at work
Thursday, June 13 2019
ENG19VCC5. Recent financial fraud activity: What can be done to prevent it?
Description: An alleged $10 million fraud this past fall involving the parent company of Newsweek involved the creation of a fictitious auditor along with fake financial statements. In another recent fraud, a Pennsylvania church administrator is accused of scamming more than $1.2 million from his employer, in part by creating fake audit reports to deceive the church’s board of trustees. Unfortunately, similar frauds are more common than you think as it can be too easy to manipulate financial information, and most aren’t covered by the media. These cases and others like it highlight the need for protection against bogus audit reports, but what can be done to prevent it from happening? Join us as we discuss how financial fraud is occurring and steps you can take to protect your firm and clients.
1) Identify ways financial fraud is occurring
2) Describe the impact and cost of fraud
3) Determine steps you can take to protect your firm and clients’ businesses
ENG19VCC6. CPAFMA: Connecting in Ways to Reveal the Way Forward
This virtual coffee will provide the Conference’s virtual attendees with some insights as to CPA Firm Management Association and the role of the firm manager and what it means to firms today and how the position and professional can connect to reveal future growth and success of the firm, regardless of firm size.
1) Participants will understand the role the firm manager/COO plays in a CPA firm.
2) Participants will be able to determine when a firm is ready for a firm manager/COO.
3) Participants will be able to evaluate the responsibilities a firm manager/COO should be responsible for based on firm size.
ENG19K04. Stress-Testing America's Prosperity
For years, America's economy has led the rest of the developed world, but will the U.S. remain the global dynamo or is the country’s ongoing recovery built on an unsustainable pile of debt? Minton Beddoes examines the economic outlook from American and global perspectives, offering up-to-the-minute insight on policy-makers' priorities and expertise on the likely direction of issues, ranging from job creation to the deficit's effect on global interest rates to potential financial regulation.
EDG1917. Lovin’ You: The Raw Truth About Fear and Self-Trust
We often give too much credence to “fear” messages in our daily lives. From an early age we are conditioned to believe that fear keeps us safe from harm. While this may be true in some instances, it often keeps us from achieving our highest potential! Leveraging Brene Brown’s ground-breaking research, we will explore the elements of trust and apply them to viewpoints of ourselves. Join us in discovering how to dissolve self-limiting beliefs and allow yourself to flourish!
1) Uncover the fears holding us back from achieving our highest potential
2) Discover how Brene Brown's elements of trust can be applied to learning to trust yourself; and
3) Learn strategies to create a trusting self-relationship that dissolves self-limiting beliefs and allows each of us to flourish.
EDG1918. Getting Stuff Done in Today's World
Feel like your to-do list is never ending? Always working and, yet, nothing ever seems to get done? Come and learn some tried and true tips for getting stuff done in today's hectic paced world.
1) Learn time and task management to get more done.
2) Learn to be better organized to ensure maximum effectiveness.
EDG1919. Naked Organizations
Don’t worry; you can keep your clothes on for this. Please do!! In addition to your clothes, you’ll leave with a better understanding of what naked leadership truly is, and why we need it now, more than ever. Brian will also explore some specific practices you can bring back to your organization to create a more naked workplace where connection, collaboration and innovation thrive. What goes on at naked organizations? Come find out!
1.) Define naked leadership
2.) List three practices your organization can start to become a more naked place where connection and innovation thrive
ENG1931. Are You Running Your Business or is it Running You? (EDG, PST)
In today's fast-paced environment, everybody is looking for that competitive edge. This session will give you that edge by using tools and techniques from EOS to help you evaluate how you are doing in six key areas and learn how to delegate and elevate your work and get maximum team performance. A recognized speaker, Tom’s interactive style and real-world insight makes this a must-see event for growth-oriented entrepreneurs everywhere. Attendees will walk away focused, clear on priorities and issues, healthier as a leadership team, and using tools that help them gain more traction. Don’t let the company run you – get a grip on your business. Learning Objectives: 1) Identify the tools needed to master to become strong in the six key components of their business — vision, people, data, issues, processes, and traction. 2) Determine the first steps needed to complete in order to become strong in each of these key components.
EDG1920. Developing a Coaching Culture
This course will discuss how companies and firms can focus on using the concepts of coaching to improve engagement. In lieu of focusing on the establishment of formal coaching programs, this course will help your organization to incorporate the best practices in coaching (proactive listening, powerful questions, building trust, and holding space) into their day-to-day culture to create a powerful coaching environment where your team members will thrive.
1) List the benefits of a coaching culture
2) Describe the key tenets of coaching
EDG1921. 7 Seconds for Success: Discover and Build Your Personal Brand
Whether it is deliberate or not, you have a brand. Your brand is how your coworkers perceive you. It is developed from how you look, talk, and act. Your brand affects everything from how people respond to you, whether people want to work with you, whether you get the plum assignments, and whether you get that desired promotion. Discover what your current brand message is and how you can deliberately change or strengthen your brand.
1) Develop an understanding of the components of a personal brand
2) Identify the current components of your current brand.
EDG1922. Unleash Your Peak Performance Potential
To act more boldly as a leader, you must increase your capacity to bring energy and full engagement to the things you value most. We will explore how well-being and mindfulness contribute to your overall performance and leadership of others. Once you learn how to access your peak performance levels, you will be unstoppable!
1) Explore how well-being and mindfulness contribute to your overall performance.
2) Explore how well-being and mindfulness contribute to your leadership of others.
3) Create a personal plan to access your peak performance.
EDG1923. Why do you Want to be a Manager? Tips to Transition into your New Leadership Role
Why do you want to be a manager? Tips to transition into your new leadership role. You may be considering becoming a manager or you’ve been recently promoted. This change will shift your career focus from being an individual contributor to leading a team. As our focus changes, so must our attitudes and skills. We’ll talk about the transition to management and leadership and talk about some practical tools and focus areas to springboard you forward in your leadership journey.
1) Learn how to shift your focus when you become a manager
2) Learn manager vs. leader areas of focus for new managers
3) Learn tools to help you move into your new role
EDG1924. Be More than a Machine: Why Emotional Intelligence Matters
Technology is everywhere. You're constantly hearing about how automation will make accounting tasks more efficient, but that doesn't mean your role will be replaced by a robot. The human mind is just as important! Let's talk about key areas of emotional intelligence and the impact they have in the time of machines.
1) Acknowledge and assess the impact of machines in our careers.
2) Dive into emotional intelligence: What it is and how we can use it to set us apart in the age of the machines.