Sunday, June 9 2019
NAA19101. FASB ASC 606: Mastering the Mechanics
Top impact areas of the revenue standard (FASB ASC 606) will be explored in depth. Lessons and insights from organizations already implementing FASB ASC 606 will be leveraged to provide attendees with practical advice on complying with the more relevant aspects of the revenue standard. Case studies and examples will be extensively employed to illustrate key principles and concepts. In addition, relevant audit considerations at the risk assessment, performance, and evaluation phases of the audit will be covered.
1) Gain a deeper comprehension of and ability to implement key FASB ASC 606 principles and concepts
2) Learn best practices for auditing the implementation of FASB ASC 606
NAA1901. Trust, Value and Opportunity in Assurance
The business environment is complex and evolving more rapidly than ever. In order to position ourselves for success, we must understand prevailing environmental trends, how they impact what we do as assurance providers, and the opportunities they present.
1) Learn about the trends in the environment that are impacting assurance practice
2) Understand impacts on audit quality
3) Obtain insights into developments that will affect practice in the near future
4) Learn about new assurance opportunities
Monday, June 10 2019
NAA19ER01. Protecting the Privacy of Critical Data
An organization's data is oftentimes thought of as its most valuable asset, yet many entities struggle when it comes to protecting that data. This is especially true when it comes to the personally identifiable data of customers, trading partners, and employees. This session will explore the topic of data protection and provide attendees with a greater appreciation of the potential difficulties one may encounter when attempting to create a data protection strategy, data handling procedures, control activities, and the types of technical tools available in the market about which CPAs should be aware.
1) Leave participants with an in-depth understanding and increased appreciation of the challenges organizations face when designing and implementing a robust data protection strategy and methods
2) Provide participants with recommended steps for identifying an organization's critically important and most valuable data, identifying the types of controls that can help protect the integrity and privacy of that data, and technologies available in the market that can help prevent and detect data breaches and related data losses
Just when you think the hype of blockchain and cryptos can't get any further inflated, you come across another article speculating the technology's disruption of EVERYTHING. The truth of the matter is, the disruption has already started in many industries, leaving many CPAs unprepared to consult and educate their clients. This interactive workshop will build upon your foundational knowledge of blockchain technology with exercises designed to illustrate why blockchain is so incredibly impactful and how your firm can prepare for, while keeping your client ahead of, blockchain's wave of disruption.
1) Understand how blockchain supports the tokenization and digital assets
2) Explore industries already leveraging blockchain and cryptoassets to improve accountability and transparency
3) Conceptualize how your clients will be impacted and how to prepare them
4) Learn key considerations and best practices for firms working with blockchain and cryptoasset clients
NAA1902. ASB Update
The Auditing Standards Board Chair will discuss recently issued standards for audits (SASs) and attestation engagements (SSAEs). The discussion will also include the ASB’s active agendas including ongoing efforts to enhance the standard setters’ outreach to stakeholders regarding proposed standards and post-implementation reviews of issued standards. This session will feature a discussion of the current status of the ASB’s projects to: a) Revise and expand the auditor’s report, b) Enhance auditor attention on financial statement disclosures as part of the risk assessment process and throughout the audit, c) Revise the attestation standards to enable a practitioner to perform an examination, review, or agreed-upon procedures engagement without having to request a written assertion from the responsible party, d) Revise the auditor’s performance and reporting responsibilities with respect to ERISA audits, e) Explore potential changes to the audit evidence standard; and convergence efforts on estimates and auditor risk assessment.
1) Obtain an understanding of the standards recently issued by the auditing standards board
2) Obtain an understanding of projects currently underway at the auditing standards board and in the profession overall
NAA1903. Ethics Update
This session will provide attendees with an update on recent changes to the Code of Professional Conduct and also refresher on other ethical topics that the hotline staff are frequently asked about. In addition to understanding changes to your ethical responsibilities an emphasis will be made on understanding responsibilities related to hosting services.
1) Get an overview of hosting services changes to ethical responsibilities
ENG19K01. The Fat Tail: The Power of Political Knowledge for Strategic Investing
The fallout from the still-unfolding global financial crisis provides several perfect examples of "fat tail" risk, those that flow from the low-probability, high-impact events that generate upheaval more often than we think. Bremmer shares with audiences how an understanding of the political dynamics generated by the financial crisis helps us forecast market risks, why politics matter more than ever for market performance, why the world's wealthiest countries have begun to behave like emerging market states, and what all this means for investors and companies.
At this presentation audiences will learn:
1) The risks that flow from low-probability, high-impact events...like the global financial crisis
2) Why politics matter more for the performance of markets and for issues ranging from defaults to nationalization to regulatory reforms
3) Why developed states are behaving more like emerging markets
4) The shift from New York, Shanghai, and Mumbai to Washington, Beijing, and Delhi—and the risks that this trend creates
NAA1908. Panel: Does Your Client Have to Adopt the Revenue and Lease Standards? An Alternative Solution
Implementing the new revenue and lease accounting standards presents difficulties and commitments of resources which can be avoided by preparing financial statements under the Financial Reporting Framework for Small- and Medium-Sized Entities (FRF for SMEs). For the great many private companies that are not required to follow U.S. GAAP, the FRF for SMEs is an ideal financial reporting option that produces financial statements that management and bankers can use and rely upon. Hear from a CPA practitioner who has converted clients to the FRF for SMEs and learn about those experiences, as well as what the FRF for SMEs is all about.
1) Gain a comprehension of the fundamental principles of the FRF for SMEs
2) Gain a comprehension of how the FRF for SMEs differs from other accounting frameworks
3) Learn how to transition financial statements to the FRF for SMEs
PST19103. PCPS Roundtables
For small firm owners and sole practitioners, this roundtable is the perfect opportunity to share insights about fundamental issues concerning all small firms. Develop your own network of public accounting colleagues, who are ready to offer professional support and advice.
Upon completing this session, you will:
• Have a better understanding of practice management issues firms are facing and will have suggestions on how to tackle some of those issues
Tuesday, June 11 2019
PST19ER01. Technology Impacting Firms Today Town Hall
Our panel of technology experts will discuss and answer your questions about the impact of technology on firms today.
Topics for discussion include: Secure Document Sharing Apps, Remote Collaboration Apps, Document Scanning & File Management Apps, Multi-Factor Authentication, VPN apps and Hardware Security Module (HSM) enabled devices, Secure cloud hosting of office management systems, Digital Assistants - Technologies that Firms and CPA Professionals Need to Understand, Data Analytics Tools, Open Source Hyper-ledger Fabric Blockchain Tools, Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM) systems, Dynamic Automation (robotic process automation), Automated Asset Discovery, Data Loss Prevention (DLP), and Internet of Things (IoT) enabled devices.
Join this session to:
1) Discover technologies that firms and CPA professionals need to understand in order to enhance productivity and efficiency of firm operations
PST1902. Tech Update: Today's Biggest Trends, Solutions, and Opportunities
What to do? What to buy? What to watch for? What to avoid? Get your answers in Tech update where you will learn about who offers reliable solutions and what is changing the market. Specific topics included in this session are: technology trends, recommended hardware specifications, applications and licensing, and security. This session provides concentrated exposure to technology that may reveal ideas, trends, and options that you had not discovered through your normal channels.
1) Describe an optimum computer configuration for an accounting professional
2) Identify a new Microsoft product that covers licensing for desktop operating systems
3) Specify a business case data compliance
4) List three protection tools to use while connected to the Internet
PST1904. The Dark Web: Do you Know Who's Watching
Cyber criminals are constantly upgrading their technology to perform more sophisticated, widespread attacks. Preventing breaches and account takeover begins with understanding how criminals operate. This presentation will guide guests through the criminal’s timeline and methods, as well as explain why existing prevention products aren’t providing the protection organizations think. More interestingly, we will demonstrate how this same data can be used to find criminals true identities! Learn how law enforcement hunts threat actors and how their tactics can be applied to corporate protection.
1) Understand the linkage between data exposed in third-party breaches and the perpetration of fraud by criminals
2) Gain insight into what works, and more importantly, what doesn't work and why in the mitigation of breaches and account takeover threat
3) Learn how to turn the tables on criminals by leveraging the breadcrumbs they leave behind in third-party breaches to feed investigations
PST1907. The Mobile CPA: What's in My Bag
What are the latest tools and technologies available to make the life of a road warrior a little easier? In this session, we will take a closer look at the mobile technologies supporting and empowering remote employees to work smarter.
1) Learn about practical technology you can deploy today
2) Look at what technologies are coming soon that may impact your technology strategy
PST1912. Small Firm Technology
What strategies can help your firm today and tomorrow? What technologies can support those strategies? The latest audit and tax technologies – in addition to niche areas such as collaborative accounting, payroll, and SALT – are covered in this session. You will also learn about supporting technologies such as practice management, document management, workflow, portals, eSignature, and email encryption. Come with your questions and expect to get insights on technologies that make public practice accounting better!
1) List three applications required for running a public practice firm
2) Differentiate between cloud opportunities
3) Identify niche opportunities for your practice
4) List examples of technologies that reduce firm risk
PST1915. Managed Services Panel: Tips, Pitfalls, and Best Practices From the Field
Information technology has always been a challenge in accounting firms and is often an afterthought instead of the strategic capability needed to support a modern practice. Instead of running their own internal IT team with on-premises hardware and software, many firms are contracting with managed service providers to recommend, manage, and install on premises hardware, and some are moving to full hosting companies where the host provides full IT capabilities to a firm for a monthly per-user fee.
This panel will discuss factors to evaluate when considering moving to a managed service provider. Panelists will discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each strategy and will provide insights from their past experiences. Major topics that will be covered include: a) learning the difference between on-premises, managed services, and hosting; b) discussing some of the benefits and pitfalls associated with each approach; and c) gaining insight into managing the risks associated with each approach.
Upon completing this session, attendees should be able to perform the following tasks:
1) Define key terms such as managed services, hosting, service level agreement (SLA), hybrid cloud, remote management, and virtual desktop infrastructure
2) Identify some of the key risks associated with four different IT approaches – on-premises, managed services, hybrid, and hosted
3) Explain at least three important factors to consider when evaluating a new IT strategy, such as SLA, guaranteed response time, contract cancellation penalties, security risks, and exit strategies
PST1917. Practical Approaches to Managing Change In Your Firm
Over the course of our careers, there have been many changes impacting CPA firms. Some of those changes were positive and some were negative. Over the past few years we have seem more and more people are writing about the gloom and doom and eventual downfall of the CPA firm. This session builds upon our belief in the tremendous future potential of all CPA’s working in firms. Our potential is limited only by our inability to see it and to grab on to it to facilitate a culture change that reflects what the firm can be.
This session discusses the following 5 attributes that a firm must nurture and enhance to successfully manage and drive change in a firm. This session will link these attributes with practical approaches that consider the importance of coordination with the firms, people, process and systems. Those 5 attributes are: 1) Relevance, 2) Quality, 3) Business Mindedness, 4) Empowerment, and 5) Innovation.
1) Participants will understand the importance of the dynamic of firm culture and its impact on driving change
2) Participants will learn practical approaches to managing and driving positive change in their firm
ENG1900. From Passion to Profession: How LPGA golfer Cristie Kerr turned her love of wine into Kerr Cellars - Presented by Chase Ink®
In this exclusive women’s wine tasting and networking event, presented by Chase Ink®, world-renowned LPGA golfer, Cristie Kerr, will take us through her journey of turning her passion for wine into a successful business with the creation of Kerr Cellars, which launched in 2013.
In the first portion of the session, we will get to know Cristie as she shares her business and personal tips for success in a conversation with Megan Chandler, Executive Director of Marketing at Chase Ink. Following, Cristie will then lead an interactive wine tasting of her own vintages and share more on how to enjoy the finest wines.
1) Insights around winning in business as a female entrepreneur
2) Identifying strength and weaknesses in building a winning team
3) Tips for creating and nurturing a culture of excellence
Reception in Exhibit Hall
ENGAGE @ Topgolf
Wednesday, June 12 2019
ENG19SSK01. BONUS KEYNOTE: Scoring Big in Business - presented by Chase Ink
John Elway, Hall of Fame quarterback, General Manager and President of Football Operations for the Denver Broncos and entrepreneur, discusses how managing a football team is similar to running a business – and the secret to succeeding at both.
1. Understanding the “mission critical” role CPAs and Accounting Professionals play in helping business owners make decisions that help their business
2. Tips on leadership, how to build the best team, ways to be more productive, stay inspired and grow your business
The digital era has brought about a blistering pace of change that’s only getting faster. It’s rapidly resetting consumer expectations and challenging organizations to disrupt themselves to remain relevant. And it’s bringing enormous opportunity for the accounting profession. To lead our clients and employers through these increasingly volatile times, we must open ourselves to new possibilities – reimagining the services and skills we offer to keep the profession vital and relevant well into the future.
1) The latest trends reshaping the accounting profession
2) How technology can enable us to enhance quality in existing service areas, and provide opportunity in new service areas our clients and businesses increasingly demand
3) How to evolve our skillsets to remain trusted advisors in an increasingly digital world
ENG19WA01. AICPA & CPA Practice Advisor Top 25 Women in Accounting Awards
ENG19K03. Leading Through Organizational Transformation — A Conversation With Simon Sinek
PST1923. Panel: How Not To Get Fired By Clients
Of the top three reasons clients fire their accounting firms, cost is only the third item on the list. Research on business leaders shows that clients fire their firms for subjective reasons, but reasons that firms can influence and control. Many firms believe they offer extraordinary client service and provide highly valued advice, but clients are the ultimate judge of these claims.
This session will help attendees:
1) Understand the top reasons clients fire firms
2) Learn how to control the factors that are likely to get firms fired
3) Leverage success in advisory services to drive more business
PST1927. Hot Topics in Today's Small Firm Environment
For small firm owners, partners and emerging leaders interested in the top issues in small firm practice today. This session will highlight firm intel gathered thru multiple AICPA resources, including the current 2019 Top Issues Survey and Small Firm Connections Feedback Forums held by AICPA VP of small firm interests around the country right up to Engage. Hear what is hot in peer review, hosting services and independence, practice management and key areas impacting firms today to be ready for tomorrow.
Upon completing this session you will:
1) Gain insight into addressing the top issues in small firm practice today
PST1929. Leveraging Infrastructure as a Service to Build a Nimbler More Resilient Firm
Is your organization still struggling with on premise technology infrastructure? Paying for Server and Network upgrades every 3 to 5 years? Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) might be a solution. Attend this session to learn about the major vendors (Azure, Amazon, Hybrid) in the space, but also learn about the process our firm adopted and how you might use the lessons learned to your advantage. We will also focus on updated trends in IaaS and take your questions on the subject.
1) Learn about vendor comparisons and SWOT analysis in the IaaS space
2) Learn about the process, budget, and partners a firm can leverage to make the migration from on prem to IaaS or hybrid
PST1930. Anti-Fraud Programs: Anomaly Detection Using Data Analytics
In this session, we will take a closer look at data analytics with this presentation on anomaly detection. Methodologies for discovering potential indicators of fraud are outlined and fraud examples will be discussed.
1) Discover the top fraud risk areas in financial reporting
2) Learn how to effectively utilize data analytics to detect anomalies as potential indicators of fraud
Ask the Experts Networking & Exhibit Hall Break
ENG1929. Inspector Gadget (PST, PFP)
Gizmos and gadgets have become an indispensable part of our digital lives – ever transforming the way we work, play and live. From cloud computing, mobile and hybrid devices to entertainment, home automation and the Internet-of-Things – every aspect of our days are impacted by the latest technology offerings. Join Inspector Gadget as he shares cutting edge tech trends and the hottest gear that every user will want to consider in the months ahead. Learning objectives: 1) Understand the latest technology trends and the impact these trends will have on next generation devices 2) Identify where to wisely invest in new technology, and what to avoid
Thursday, June 13 2019
PST19ER03. Hot Topics in Practice Management
What are some of the practice management opportunities and challenges firms across the country are experiencing? Hear from the PCPS team about the results of the 2019 CPA Firm Top Issues survey and some tips for managing your firm more effectively.
Upon completing this session, you will:
1) Have a better understanding of practice management issues firms are facing
2) Have suggestions on how to approach top concerns in practice management by firm size, including a review of resources to help
ENG19K04. Stress-Testing America's Prosperity
For years, America's economy has led the rest of the developed world, but will the U.S. remain the global dynamo or is the country’s ongoing recovery built on an unsustainable pile of debt? Minton Beddoes examines the economic outlook from American and global perspectives, offering up-to-the-minute insight on policy-makers' priorities and expertise on the likely direction of issues, ranging from job creation to the deficit's effect on global interest rates to potential financial regulation.
PST1933. Enabling Remote Workers & Virtual Offices
As the number of companies offering workplace flexibility, remote work arrangements and even virtual offices continues to grow, you want to be ready to enable your team to be successful working outside the traditional office. Ensuring that you’re prepared for these shifts in work environment with the appropriate technology, expectations, criteria and policies will not only become more important in the coming years but also expected by many prospective employees.
1) Understand the trends that are disrupting the traditional work environment
2) Review Best Practices for remote workers and virtual offices
3) Gain a better understanding of the technology, criteria, management and policies required for success
PST1937. Time Management for Accountants
Accountants know that time is money – and there rarely seems to be enough time. In this session you will learn proven steps to actually improve the way you manage time and improve your workflow practices for maximum value. In particular, you will learn why time management is at the core of most pressing issues facing accountants today; the theory of goal-based time management; understanding your goals; short-term and long-term scheduling tactics; and time management hacks that make managing your time fun and successful. The author of over 30 books on tax, accounting, and personal finance, Gail promises that you will leave this session with a priceless gift – the gift of time.
1) Learn how to set time management goals and incorporate them into your schedule
2) Discover how to make the best use of your available time
3) Learn how to stay focused in the face of interruptions
4) Change the way you regard time - for the rest of your life
PST1943. Office 365 - The Lesser Known Apps
Join Gerry as he takes us on a guided tour of the lessor known applications included in your Office 365 Business and Enterprise licenses. He’ll speak to what these applications are about and how they can be deployed in your firm. They will include: Bing; Delve; Flow; Forms; Planner; Stream; Sway; Teams and Video.
Upon leaving Gerry’s session you will have:
1) A clear understanding and focused objectives of each of the applications covered
2) You will also be able to make a clear distinction on how and why your firm might further investigate their deployment and use
PST1948. Ask The Tech + Expert
Still have unanswered questions from the conference? Tap into the minds of a handful of the professions leading technology minds. In this interactive panel discussion, you'll have the opportunity to ask your questions on a variety of topics.
• Access to some of the leading technology thought leaders in the profession
• Last chance to ask any unanswered questions before you leave the conference
PST1949. Moving to a Virtual Audit
Audit clients continue to become more global, diverse and technology reliant while the audit methodologies used by most firms hasn’t fundamentally changed in 25 years. While there has long been discussion that the future audit will shift from attesting on past results once per year to delivering real time assurance very little has been accomplished to date. This session will discuss approaches to virtual integration to client’s systems and data to leverage data analytics. Leveraging “big data” through use of “data analytics in our audit processes are sure to be future foundational capabilities. This session will layout a virtual audit model for how that could work, the potential benefits, and the current barriers around moving this from myth to reality.
During this session, specific recommendations will be presented to start positioning the firm for virtual engagements will be discussed. Topics Include: a) Out Instant Gratification Culture, b) Audit of the Future – Dynamic Integration, c) Use of Data Analytics Continuous Auditing, d) Virtual Continuous Audit models, e) What can I do today? and f) Moving Ideas to Action.
1) Participants will understand the benefits of moving to virtual auditing
2) Participants will learn how to set up a virtual audit practice in their firm